Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Letters from a Father to his Children (31.05.58)


Singapore, 31st, May 1958

My darling children,
We got to Singapore safely yesterday, arriving at 6.25 pm. Pa' Nizar and Pa' Sabri were at the Paya Lebar Air Port to meet us. It was a pleasant trip. Except for a very short period - I understand over Muar when we went through some 'air pockets' - it was a very smooth flight.
We were touched by the grand send-off by relatives and friends. It was a sad occasion though leaving you all behind but I am sure you agree that Mak, in particular, deserves a holiday. Three months won't be a long time.
Oh yes; I nearly forgot to tell you something. When we got to the Air Port, Pa' Sabri was waiting with a motor-car - one of those self-drive cars; a Moris Minor. We had quite an experience with Pa' Sabri at the wheel. First of all, the car was so small that only one bag could go into the boot and the other bag has to be placed on the front seat leaving Pa' Nizar, Mak and I to squeeze at the back. However, Pa' Sabri's driving is still "jerky'! On the whole it wasn't too bad a show.
As you know, of course, we stayed at Pa' Nizar's place. We felt rather tired that we did not go out at all after dinner. Pa' Sabri spent the night with us. All here are well. Pa' Nizar's mother-in-law and Zainab are here too.
Yong, I have a few things to tell you which I forgot to do before I left. One is as regards to Mak's "kuttu". When you get the $900/= from Mak Cha'a, pay it into your Post Office Savings Bank book with the $100/= I left with you. (This $100/= is included in the cash I left with you). Then beginning from 1st July send monthly the $100/= to Mak Cha'a.
There is another thing, I have not been able to find time to read the newspapers during the last few days. Will you please go through them and take cuttings, if any, about myself and put them in my 'scrap book'.
Speaking about newspapers you might continue to subscribe to the usual magazines and four (unless you want five) dailies namely Strait Times, Singapore Standard, Malay Mail and Berita Harian or Utusan Melayu. I believe you all prefer Berita Harian.
Before I end I want to remind you to keep all the letters I write as I want them to form part of my diary. My letters should be read by those of you who can understand and they should be explained to the younger ones so that they may also follow our activities.
That's that for the time being, my dear children. Love, kisses and salam to you all from both Bapak and Mak. Sembah salam to Tah and salam to all others.


Yours Ever
Mak & Bapak

No comments: