Wednesday, April 1, 2009

letters from a Father to his Children (19.7.58)



Alexa Hotel,
73 Lexham Gardens,
London, W. 8
19th July 1958.

Our Dear Darlings,

London, Saturday 12th July: We went out to cash a cheque but I forgot the cheque book! So after walking about at PICADDILY CIRCUS (Circus is a big roundabout) we decided to go to MARBLE ARCH by tube. When we got into the tube station we met a friend from Kuala Lumpur, a Che' Junid, who is doing a Course in England. We were very happy to meet each other and I got addresses of a few friends from him. We purposely missed our trains to just go on talking.

While on the subject of friends, it reminds me of an incident. When we got out of Earl's Court Tube Station two young boys (about Ajid's age, I believe) smiled and spoke to us. We didn't know the language. After they spoke to us a few times I said, in English, that I couldn't understand them. So they spoke in English and apologised and said that they were Burmese and thought that we were from Burma too. They looked embarrassed but we put them at ease and carried on talking to them. It seems they were schooling in England.


Reverting to my meeting Che' Junid, we parted and decided to see each other again as soon as possible.

In the evening we went to see the picture, "Around the World in 80 Days". Of course, I hope to do it in 92 days. David Niven visited PARIS, SPAIN (by accident rather than planned), MARSEILLES, INDIA, SIAM, HONG KONG, JAPAN, SAN FRANCISCO and NEW YORK. You will notice that we shall be visiting more places. It was a very entertaining film and we enjoyed it very much. We saw this at a theatre called "ASTORIA". It's one of those expensive picture houses. We sat at second dearest seats and they cost 12/6 each - worth it though. This picture has been running for more than one year.

Sunday, 13th July: We spent the whole day at Raja Redzuan's flat. We had a very nice lunch there. It was very nice of him and his wife to have invited us and it was the first real Malay food that we have enjoyed since we left home.

Monday, 14th July: We went to MADAM TUSSAUD'S EXHIBITION in the morning. It was very interesting. This Exhibition contains Portrait Models of most great men and women. These models are so real and lifelike. There is also the Chamber of Horrors depicting old and primitive forms of punishment and also models of dangerous criminals. There is also an Entertainment Hall where many game stalls are available. Those "contortion mirrors" are very funny. I went to a machine which was supposed to


answer some questions - such questions as, "Will I Marry?", "Will I Remain An Old Maid?" and so forth. There was one question which I asked, "How Is My Health". The answer came out, "You Should Know That Yourself". What an obvious answer!

When we left the Exhibition we met the Chinese Couple whom we first met at ATHENS. Remember the Chinese lady who was in the group photographed with Mak? What a small world!

In the evening, we went to a Cocktail Party by Tunku Ya'acob the High Commissioner for the Federation in UK. We went quite a number of old friends and acquaintances there. The Party was given in honour of Mr. Ong Yoke Lin our Minister For Labour. We met General Brooke there and he was telling Tunku Jaafar's wife that he used to enjoy a lot going to our party in KL where we give nice "sateh". We also met Sir David Watherston, Dr. Sodhy of the KL Municipality, Judge Adams and his wife and Mr. Shaw an old Headmaster of V.I.

Tuesday, 15th July: We had nothing particular to do in the morning until we went out to lunch given by Mr. and Mrs. Philips, Controller of the Commonwealth Division of the British Council at CONNAUGHT HOTEL. Mr. and Mrs. Lucas representative of the British Council of Malaya was there too. We went out later in the evening and after dinner we went to TATLER NEWS THEATRE.


Wednesday, 16th July: We went to the TOWER OF LONDON. It was a very wet morning. It rained and rained. We visited the Tower where old heraldic armours, weapons of war etc were exhibited. We then lined up for 45 minutes to see the CROWN JEWELS. Those were lovely and their value is inculculable. As it was a miserable day, we went back after lunch and did not go out at all until dinner time.

Thursday, 17th July: A lovely morning. I went out into Town for a while before getting ready to to to BUCKINGHAM PALACE. When I returned to the Hotel I asked Mak if she had taken out my Malay suit from the suit-case. She said "no", as the suit-case was very heavy. I took down the bag from the top of the cupboard. To our horror we found that the dress was not there. We nearly went panic! That was at eleven o'clock and we had to be at MALAYA HOUSE at 2 o'clock. We had no lunch yet. I nearly lost my head - oh, God! What have I done! It struck me to get in touch of a friend and I thought of Che' Mohd. Din (Che' Hawa's husband) but I didn't know his telephone number. I rang up MALAYA HOUSE to get his number but no one knew. I then asked to be connected to Syed Ja'afar Albar who was there as Information Officer (he was UMNO Publicity Chief before). I told him of my plight. He then said that he had a friend


in front of him, one Che Din from Kedah, who might have a spare suit. He, fortunately, had one suit to spare. That was a relief but I still wasn't sure whether the dress would suit me. Anyway, I thought that a suit was better than no suit. Mother got ready and we went to Town to Mr. Ong Yoke Lin's room (Minister of Labour who was in London then) to change. We had no time to have lunch and had only coffee and sandwiches at a SNACK BAR. Oh, what a depressed feeling we had.
When I went to Mr. Yoke Lin's room, I met the owner of the dress whom I happened to know quite well. I put on the dress and it did fit me so well that it was as good as my own! Indeed I was very happy. So I was in black dress. Of course, I had my cap and my own "sampin". I still wonder how I left my black suit at home. We all then gathered at MALAYA HOUSE - about 14 of us- and left for the Palace at about 2.30pm. We had to go early to avoid traffic jam. You should realise that 7000 people were invited to the Garden Party!
When we got to the Palace we were ushered to the Gardens of the Palace - a very nice garden with a few ponds. Of course, to the Europeans it was an occasion for the ladies to show off their fashionable dresses. People strolled about in the Garden before tea was served. There were three marquees for tea - one
was the ROYAL ENCLOSURE, another one was for members of the Diplomatic Corps and the third one was meant for the others. We first had tea at the third marquee to join our friends but at about 5 o' clock we were ushered to the ROYAL ENCLOSURE as we were to be presented. We went there with Tunku Ya'acob our High Commissioner, his wife Tunku Maimunah and Mr. Ong Yoke Lin. We had tea again there. In this enclosure we saw Sir Winston Churchill, Sir Anthony Eden and Lord and Lady Mountbatten. Queen Mother (oh yes, I nearly forgot to tell you that the Queen was not present as she was ill. Rather disappointing) and the Duke of Edinburgh were having tea in the same enclosure and were chatting with some of their friends about 20 feet away from us. Lady Mountbatten came up to Mak and myself, shook our hands and asked us if we had had tea. She looked rather older than Lord Mountbatten.
Then came the presentation. I must explain that only V.V.I.Ps were at the Royal Enclosure including those to be presented. Before us were those from Canada and Pakistan and then came our turn. First Tunku Ya'acob and Tunku Maimunah and then followed by Mr. Yoke Lin. Then it was out turn - our exciting moment. We felt rather nervous. Imagine about 7000 pairs of eyes were watching us. You see; the Queen Mother
and the Duke were under a cover waiting for us. All present were looking on - some sitting on chairs and many standing in a sort of horse-shoe formation - and away from us at about 100 feet at the nearest point. I am sure many looked with envious eyes. We stepped up. Our High Commissioner then presented me to Queen Mother and then the Duke as "Prime Minister of Selangor". We shook hands. Then Mak curtsied to Queen Mother and shook hand. The Duke conversed with me. He started off when introduced by saying "Oh, yes; I have been to your State. How is it getting on after independence?" I assured him that we getting on quite well. We then spoke generally and he ended up by assuring our Government of assistance from the British Government. Mak was with Queen Mother who looked youngish despite her age. She was very charming. She asked Mak how she liked England. Mak said that she liked it and that the weather was kind so far and that this day was fine. She asked Mak how the weather was like in Malaya. Then we withdrew after Mak and I shook hands again with Queen Mother and the Duke. We went back to meet our friends and they were very happy and some of them said that Mak curtsied very well indeed! Oh, yes; Mak was in her darkish red "baju benang emas". She looked attractive in that dress and she was wearing a pair of dark red shoes matching with her bag. We bought these in London. I was in all black. While we were a bit disappointed to

miss the Queen (she had been ill for the last few days) we were very happy as Queen Mother was a very good substitute.
After this Party we went to have dinner at Che' Mohd Din's place. He has rented a flat and Che' Hawa cooked herself. We enjoyed the Malay food very much.
We shall be writing again soon. Until then heaps of love and kisses to Sayang, Adek, Intan, Kuntom, Nor, Adek Shor, Nan, Nah, Ajid and Yong. Sembah salam to Tah and salam to others.
Yours Ever
Mak and Bapak
PS. We have received letters from Yong, Nah and Ajid.

2 comments:

Nadia Zawawi said...

Wow, the Queen Mum and Tah! I can just picture the scene. And they saw Winston Churchill. Very cool.

I can imagine Ki's panic. Pa is like that when he forgets his baju... has to pinjam as well!

My mader wrote a letter to Ki and Tah! Woo hoo!

Ayushah Jamil/Rosita Jamil said...

First he forgot his wallet, then he forgot to bring the cheque, and then lupa baju melayu pulak...i wonder what he'll forget next!